"But today, of all days, it is brought home to me, it is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life..."

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Keep out: No blessings allowed

I used to hate those kind of signs. I was the little kid people wanted to keep out. My brothers were awesome, (still are) and they didn't have any signs like this. In fact their room was pretty much always open to me, even in the middle of the night if I had a bad dream I could always just go sleep in the boys room. And so going over to other houses where some doors had "keep out" written on them, it used to puzzle me and make me mad. Due to the fact that I had brothers who would take me anywhere anytime and not ever complain about it, I didn't understand why anyone would want to keep their siblings out. 

I think I understand now. Our house is flanked by two homes in which two girls Kate's age live. Since our house is in the middle, it's sort of the meeting place and little girls seem to be constantly running through the house. Although I've never liked those types of signs mentioned above, I was tempted to put one up today. All I wanted was an undisturbed hour of watching a movie on my computer with my coffee and my cobbler. But of course, after just a few minutes I hear the door knob turn, and I roll my eyes.
They started playing with the typewriter, and trying on dresses. One of them had a scratch on her leg, and I just found a little spot of blood on my white comforter. (I regret not getting her a band aid when she asked for it now.)
Most things will break after a while if someone who doesn't know how to use it plays with it. (The typewriter). And did they ever think to hang the dresses back up? No of course not, they're scattered all over the floor. I wonder if that spot of blood will come off? 

Is it too much to ask that I just have a little peace and quiet in my own room? Well, truthfully, I think it is. 
After all, do I really use that typewriter to type with? No, of course not. It ran out of ink years ago, it's just cool decoration on my desk. If they broke it, I'm not sure I'd even know. 
And you should see my room. It's so cluttered with my own things that I don't think you'd hardly even notice the dresses. And don't forget, miss Sarah Lunsford, that you once loved to play dress up too. Did you always pick up those costumes after yourself? I don't think so.
And the blood is just a little spot. Even if it doesn't come out it isn't nearly as big as the ink stain on my old sheets that resulted from me leaving an open pen on my bed. 
And overall, should I let these little things stand in the way of me spending time with my sister? Of course today was an exception. I just wanted an hour to myself. But the truth is, today isn't an exception, it's just another day. There will always be an excuse to close your door and block the family out. But siblings are blessings, and I don't think we would ever put a "No blessings allowed" sign on the door of our room. Even if they mess things up a bit, I don't think those tangible objects are as important as long term relationships.
This is definitely something that I need to work on. 
Closing the door is just too easy sometimes, but in the long run I don't think it's worth it.

4 comments:

  1. geez louise...
    you're a better woman than i, sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lightening bolt of realization. I always thought I was pretty good about this..nope..not.at.all. Thanks, Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the sweetest thing I have ever read! You are a precious daughter and sister!

    ReplyDelete