"But today, of all days, it is brought home to me, it is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life..."

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

California Trip #1

I'm finally getting around to telling you about my trip. Yeah, yeah, I know... took me long enough, huh? But better late than never, right?

Day 1: 
We flew in to San Francisco, and drove as far as we could in the direction of Yosemite National park before night came upon us.


Day 2:
We woke up and drove the rest of the way to Yosemite. The drive was delightful. We passed orchards and vineyards and lovely countryside. After a while the road started ascending and getting pretty windy, and the scenery even more interesting. I was on the edge of my seat anxious to see what was around the next corner. Once we came around a curve and we saw this:
It was a beautiful lake with blue mountains behind it. I've never completely understood why mountains are sometimes described as "blue", but I do now. 

And then we finally came to Yosemite:
 It was amazing, beautiful, exquisite, breathtaking... 



One thing that I found rather interesting was this:
An enormous rock. It's called El Captitan. It's 3,000 feet high, and a favorite challenge for experienced climbers. It would take one of these experienced climbers about 5 to 7 days to climb it. 


Do you see that little white spot to the right of the shadow? Well, that's a person climbing. 

Sometimes, I'd look around me, listening to a tour guide tell me that it all just appeared by chance, and wonder who could actually think that. All that majestic beauty, mountains that made me feel smaller than the tiniest ant, even the little things like how beautiful the sound of water racing over rocks can sound. And this all just happened? I don't think so. 


That's all for now, folks. 
Coming soon: Sarah in the City. 

1 comment:

  1. what with all these thrilling trips, you're becoming quite a globe-trotter! (don't you like that phrase? it fascinates me..how I'd love to be one)

    or at least a nation-trotter...but that doesn't sound quite so nice :)

    ReplyDelete