"But today, of all days, it is brought home to me, it is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life..."

Friday, May 17, 2013

Anne with an "e"

     I've just finished the Anne of Green Gables series for the I-don't-know-what time.


question-1114161.jpg
Can we all just take a minute to reflect on the greatness of those books? I mean really. I already want to re-read them again. I feel as if I know Anne. I've lived a life with her. I've shared in her joy and sorrow. I feel a nostalgia for a Green Gables I've never been to. I feel jealous when Diana falls in love with Fred. I cried when Matthew died, and I laughed at Susan's comical "now that you may tie to" phrases. And when Anne went soaring on the wings of anticipation, I was right along side her, flying amongst the clouds and the purple sea sky. I feel everything almost as keenly as if it were my life. But that's the joy of reading. It's not my life, and I can slip in and out of it as easy as opening and closing a book. The emotions of the fictional world don't often carry over into the real one. So while I might shed many tears within the pages, I can leave that world and come back into my own and go about my life.

Reading allows you to experience a hundred different lives within your own that you just live once.
     I honestly feel sorry for people who don't read. Think how limited their experience is. It is confined to their own life, while the one that reads embarks on a hundred different adventures without ever leaving the living room. Not that real life adventures aren't fun, but why limit yourself to just that? Spruce things up with some books.

    I shall always, always, always hold a special place on my bookshelf and in my heart for the Anne series.

    Like really. They're just fantastic.






No comments:

Post a Comment