"But today, of all days, it is brought home to me, it is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life..."

Thursday, November 17, 2011

What About Thanksgiving?

Sometimes I feel like Thanksgiving is an endangered holiday. It's halloween and people go all out. They hang spiderwebs from the trees, put skeletons on the front porch. Kids get dressed up.... And that's all fun and everything, But what happens after Halloween? Well, in Walmart and my neighborhood, up go the Christmas decorations. But wait, aren't we skipping something here. Isn't there like some holiday in between those two? Oh, yeah, Thanksgiving. That's it.  A whole day is set apart to eat and thank God, and our culture just completely skips over it? Something's got to be wrong with that.  I mean, I love eating--like, a lot. But last time I checked there was plenty I could thank God for too. And I think a specific day set apart to do just that is a pretty good idea. 
     I went to Starbucks the other day and when the guy handed me my drink he said "Merry Christmas!" (At least it wasn't "happy holidays") But I can't remember the last time someone told me "Happy Thanksgiving" and I think that's just kinda wrong. 
   
     Maybe it's just that the year goes by fast enough without getting into Christmas-time too early. But I think Thanksgiving should be a bigger deal than it is. Don't you?

Well, I guess I'm done with all my complaining. Go enjoy your Thanksgiving, and don't rush Christmas! 




1 comment:

  1. Very good post! You made me think a lot. :)
    Maybe one reason they don't' make a big deal of it is because it is a selfless holiday, (no presents or Trick-or-treating) and you are supposed to be thankful which people seem to find very hard, especially thanking God.
    Thanks for reminding me to pause and think about the true meaning of Thanksgiving and praise God for his blessing. <3

    ReplyDelete